Friday, November 22, 2013

Macbeth

          I recently saw a production of Macbeth starring Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston. While the play itself was performed in the UK, I was able to attend a screening at UCLA through National Theatre Live. I wasn't sure what to expect, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised with the experience. It was a tremendous advantage, enabling a widespread audience to sit through a production they would otherwise not be able to attend.



          As someone who is neither an avid theater-goer nor particularly well-versed in Shakespeare, I went into Macbeth with virtually no expectations. I was rather pleased when the cast delivered a really solid performance. Seeing this play took me back to my high school days, and certain lines triggered memories of memorization and performance. In fact, I'd nearly forgotten that one of my very favorite Shakespearean passages comes from Macbeth, and I sat in my seat reciting it my head as Branagh spoke the words aloud:

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

          In general, the experience of seeing Macbeth was incredibly unique because it was neither a live performance nor a film- instead it managed to entwine the best of both worlds. While the real audience members were limited to the single viewpoint of their seats, our theater was privileged in that we got to view each scene from several wonderfully-articulated camera angles. In that sense, the play was very active and engaging in a way that it wouldn't have been for the people viewing it in person. As someone who tends to prefer film over theater, I think that element is what really drew me into this performance. However, unlike watching a movie, these productions by NTL are done live. While the play is being viewed from a camera, it is unedited footage, which makes the overall composition feel very genuine.
          One thing I rather enjoyed about this play was the stage design- specifically that there was no stage. Instead, the theater was divided in half, allowing the performers to pass from one side to the other through a central passageway with audience members sitting on either side. This space allowed for a lot of action and movement that would've been difficult to pull off with a more typical platform. I thought it worked really well.






           If there was one stand-out actor in this production, it was Alexander Vlahos, who played Malcom. While he didn't have a particularly large part, I was constantly drawn to the energy and grace of his performance. I hope his acting career continues to expand because I'd love to see him perform again.
          Overall, I had a great experience, and I would highly recommend looking into National Theatre Live for future entertainment opportunities. In the upcoming months, I already have tickets to see Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch and Coriolanus with Tom Hiddleston. Needless to say, I'm rather excited. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here: