Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Thor: The Dark World Review

          I have to say that after seeing Thor The Dark World multiple times in the past week, I am still left with an array of very mixed feelings. In my opinion, it was certainly the weakest of the three associated films. That being said, there were many elements of it that I did thoroughly enjoy.
[SPOILERS AHEAD: Read On At Your Own Risk]


          First and foremost, the movie seemed to be a bit at war with itself in terms of genre. It was largely action, but there were elements of comedy, romance and drama introduced rather abruptly at various points. Now, many movies have pulled off that sort of balancing act, and while I don't think The Dark World was particularly successful at it, the film did benefit from the attempted multi-dimensionality because the main storyline was not strong enough to stand alone.
          There were several plots going on simultaneously, and the main thread involving the dark elves was the weakest in my opinion. It felt somewhat forced within the larger context of the movie series, and involved an unnecessary amount of special effects that, for the most part, lacked the "wow" factor that should accompany good action sequences. There was far too much reliance on the mystical power of the aether, and very little actual explanation as to why certain things were happening.
           More than that however, the biggest problem with the storyline was that it lacked the emotional component that made the first film such a success. The primary villain, Malekith, is a tremendously two-dimensional character with no real motivation behind his treachery. In that respect The Dark World was a disappointing follow-up to Thor and The Avengers, which showcased Loki as the emotionally-driven antagonist. It's that extra layer of characterization which has led to his becoming the most beloved villain of the modern era. With Malekith, even his defeat, which is meant to be the climax of the movie, is underwhelming because the audience doesn't have a fully developed understanding of his character.


          Another thing that frustrated me about The Dark World was a specific scene: Loki's death on Svartalfheim. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a wonderfully heartfelt segment between the two brothers. What bothered me was the abrupt transition into the next scene. One second we see Thor angered and mourning, and the next he is completely composed and joking around with Jane as they escape to Earth. Now, I understand that the audience may not have believed Loki was really dead, but the point is that Thor did. I just felt he should've reacted differently after having lost both his mother and his brother. Faked or not, I don't think Loki's death received the treatment that his character deserved.
           Speaking of Thor and Loki, I'd like to address the last, and most aggravating thing about this entire movie. The house of Odin is obviously very broken and flawed after the events that take place in Thor and The Avengers, and while this set of complex and dynamic relationships lent itself to some incredibly powerful story material, Marvel chose not to capitalize on it. The small moments shared between the various family members were, by far, the most successful bits of the entire film. I adored the scene between Loki and Odin,



the scene between Loki and Frigga,


the scene between Thor and Odin,


the scene between Odin and Frigga,


and of course, every scene between Thor and Loki.



Those sequences in particular were what really brought the movie into the hearts of the audience. However, they were few and fleeting in duration. I wish the film would've emphasized the relationships between Thor, Odin, Loki and Frigga even more, because they were very moving and immensely powerful.
___________________________________________________________________________

          Now that I've thoroughly criticized the movie, I'd like to point out that there were several positive aspects of the film as well. For one thing, the comedic relief was both successful and necessary, and let's face it, Loki pretty much dominated on that front. In fact, the internet has begun referring to the God of Mischief as the "God of Sass"- and for good reason. The brotherly banter that ensues between he and Thor brings their complex relationship down to a more relateable, more human level. The cameo with Captain America was absolutely golden, and the scene when Thor hangs Mjolnir up on the wall was equally well-articulated. I found myself laughing repeatedly throughout the film, and I think the overall movie would've been significantly less enjoyable without that element of humor.


  



      
             For me, there are two standout characters in this movie: Loki and Frigga. What fascinates me about Loki is that he evolves noticeably between each film. In Thor, he is young and emotionally distraught, in The Avengers, he is bitter, ruthless and aggressive, and in The Dark World, Tom Hiddleston delivers a much more sarcastic, sardonic version of Loki that we hadn't really seen before. Despite the interesting shifts in personality, I find my attachment to this character unwavering. The relationship between Frigga and Loki is also one of the best things about the entire film. Yes, it's her death that ultimately leads to his provisional freedom, but it's quite evident that Loki genuinely cares about her. That being said, Frigga is a strong female character all on her own. We see her fearlessly take on the villain, Malekith, and she even dies with honor and grace as the Queen of Asgard. I was extremely concerned when Frigga and Loki were killed off almost consecutively. As two of the strongest, most dynamic characters, it would've been a shame to eliminate them both from the franchise.


          When it comes down to it, the very end of the movie compensates for all of its prior shortcomings. I was absolutely ecstatic when Loki was revealed on the throne. However, I feel like the shock and excitement caused people to overlook the beauty of what had just passed between Thor and "Odin" (aka Loki in disguise). It may have been Loki doing the talking, and he may not have meant a single word that he said, but I loved that it took a veil of deceit to allow the brothers to compliment one another, and I can't wait to see what happens next. Nobody really knows for certain where the story will go from here. Will there be a Thor 3? Will Loki finally get that solo film the world's been rallying for? Only time will tell. Here's to the future. Long live the God of Mischief.



6 comments:

  1. Great Review! Agree in all critiques and comments but STRONGLY disagree that Thor: The Dark World was the weakest of the associated Marvel films. To me, it’s one of the better ones. Definitely outdoes the first Thor, which was my favorite of the currently released ones. I would also rank it over Iron Man II, and III. Anyways, now to some comments:

    The transition from Loki's death to Thor and Jane's warping back to earth was a bit unnatural. It could have been compensated for IF there was a bit of reflection later on (more than what they did in the last scene) but we never got it. Also, the part where professor Selvig gets ecstatic of loki's death made it hilarious BUT it also made me really sad and kinda sick. Not gonna lie, I shed a tear over Loki's death (even though I knew it wasn’t real!); it was a heart breaking scene- especially for an extreme HIDDLESTONER like me. Tom gave a great performance in that scene but it just felt like it had no gravity or weight because of the almost immediate comedy following it. BUT this is something of a theme in most of the Marvel movies: They NEVER get too serious. It’s always for the fun of it; it’s a formula that works, and pretty well at that.

    There was also not enough Lady Sif in there! Love her character ( and the Warriors Three) and wish she was a larger part of it. Overall: AMAZING comedy, AMAZING imagery and AMAZING chemistry between the characters! Planning to see it again this Saturday ; P

    Out of curiosity: How would you rank all the currently released Marvel CU movies? What’s your favorite and are you looking forward to Captain America: The Winter Soldier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noor! You bring up several good points, and I'm glad you did because even my lengthy post didn't manage to cover all my thoughts.
    First off, I should probably clarify that by "associated films" I was referring specifically to Thor and The Avengers. In fact, I would rate them in chronological order. Thor is still my absolute favorite in terms of storyline, followed by The Avengers, and then The Dark World. As far as the other Marvel movies go, Iron Man would be next on my list, followed by Captain America and Iron Man 2. I have not seen The Hulk or Iron Man 3 yet, but I am looking forward to The Winter Soldier. I've come to love Cap much more after The Avengers and I think it'll be interesting to see him finding his bearings as a hero in the modern world. Despite all my criticism, I really did enjoy The Dark World, and I'm sure I'll buy it and watch it several times over.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit uneasy about the treatment of Loki's death. It wasn't bad, it just didn't FEEL quite right. It needed something more. The fact that it was faked should've made the directors even MORE determined to make it feel legitimate in order to increase the shock factor later.
    I am SO glad you brought up Selvig's comment about Loki because that was a HUGE moment in the film for me! Half of me was bursting with laughter and the other half was sitting in the theater wide-eyed, jaw-dropped and heartbroken thinking "it's too soon to joke"! But in context, it was perfect, and as you pointed out, Marvel is just as concerned with humor as they are about anything else.
    I have to say- and I don't quite know why this is- but I preferred the imagery and cinematography in Kenneth Branagh's Thor. There was a degree of realism and elegance to the shots of Asgard that I think got overpowered at times in The Dark World. This movie was much more blunt and exaggerated in terms of imagery, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, or even that it wasn't successful. I'm merely saying it didn't resonate as well with me. That being said, I do love everything about the Bifrost. It's just so beautiful and well done!
    As far as minor characters go, I really like Heimdall! I was glad he had more of a part in this film than he did in the first, and I hope we get to see him return in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Side note: after writing this, I've been reading and watching several other reviews on YouTube, and almost everyone agrees with you that The Dark World is better than Thor. That really surprises me, and now I feel like I need to do an in-depth comparison of the two films in order to figure out what makes me prefer the first one. I don't particularly care that my opinion differs from the majority, but I find myself repeatedly offended by the critiques who almost completely dismiss the first movie as a failed film. If they really didn't like the first one, who are they do judge the second? Just something interesting to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Movies (as art) are not quantifiable. You can’t say one is better than the other (quantifiably) because it’s all based on your opinion! Some people think the twilight movies are amazing, and others HATE the Lord of The Rings trilogy, it’s just a matter of taste (although I don’t understand it AT ALL haha). Haters will hate and lovers will praise!

    I much more preferred the fantastical aspects of the second Thor movie, but that’s because I like fantasy and dislike when movie's try to be realistic (especially scientifically) when there is nothing to truly root it in reality. (Although, the Tesseract is a real thing!). LOVE LOVE LOVE the first Thor. Definitely agree with you that it seems like people are just dismissing it like it wasn't good at all! It makes NO sense to me! TDW is a good sequel as far as sequels go but the first one was pretty awesome so I don’t understand where that sentiment is coming from. For me its simple: more Loki = a better movie! : P

    Heimdall is so cool! Can’t believe I didn't mention him! His character is bad ass and I wish we could have seen more of him, especially fighting. I loved how he jumped on that dark elf ship and just TOOK IT DOWN!

    KEEP up the awesome blog! Love talking movies with you! Also, would love to hear your thoughts on Saving Mr. Banks, not sure if I will see it in theaters but still curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ABSOLUTE favourite parts of the movie were also all the family interactions- ESPECIALLY with Loki and Frigga!! I also spent a while thinking about the ending scene between 'Odin" (Loki) and Thor- I cant wait till I can see it again to experience it now knowing that it is actually Loki talking!
    I also agree that Loki's death scene was treated much too trivially- I was still in complete denial that he had died and would have been no matter- but I really would have liked to have shed a tear over him as he is one of my all-time favourite characters!
    I thought there was way too much of Jane's interns and although they provided comic relief I would have much rather have been relieved by more Asgardian comedy and less of whatever you want to call what the interns were doing... The side story with Eric Selvig I also found kind of odd- it made sense that he was a little crazy after the Avengers film but they never really developed it properly and it was almost as if it was really just acting as more sidehand comic relief, when I feel it could have been made to be very interesting (sidenote: it actually reminded me a lot of the idea of walter from Fringe, if anyone knows that show).
    Overall I have to say that I really enjoyed the movie however and cannot wait for Marvel's net installments- I really hope that they include Loki in just about everything that they possibly can- I cant get enough of that man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I completely agree with everything you've said. When it comes down to it, I just can't get enough of Loki's character either! I wish we could've seen more of him and Frigga together also because their interaction was truly amazing! I'd love to see flashbacks of Loki with Frigga when he was younger.
    As far as the ending goes, I loved how Anthony Hopkins altered his mannerisms just enough to hint that something wasn't quite right. I didn't realize it was Loki on the throne until he revealed himself, but I did pick up on Odin acting a little strange. For instance, the way he was sitting (with the exact posture Loki has in the first movie), and the way he raises an eyebrow when Thor said that Loki died with honor- it was all very well played out.
    I thought the whole Selvig plot was a bit unnecessary as well. It was more weird than it was amusing, and even though it made sense, the time would've been better spent on other characters (like Loki).
    I'm so glad you brought up Loki's death because he is one of my all-time favorite characters as well, and I didn't shed a tear either. That's a huge problem! I found myself wanting to cry at the idea of losing him, but the movie didn't encourage it. Hopefully we get to see lots more of him in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Type your comments here: